Friday, April 2, 2010

Mormons and the Cross--Sunstone West/Claremont Graduate University

During the Sunstone West Symposium at Claremont Graduate University last week, I had the pleasure of participating in a panel discussion (with Newell Bringhurst, Robert Rees, and D. Michael Quinn) featuring my forthcoming book Banishing the Cross: The Emergence of a Mormon Taboo. Pleased that the presentation was well received (the room was so full that we didn't have enough chairs), I was especially relieved that each of the accomplished scholars on my panel spoke positively about my research.

I already knew that Bringhurst and Rees would speak favorably of the book, since I had worked closely with them both for some time, but what Quinn would say was entirely unknown to me. And the fact that I had directly contradicted/challenged Quinn's interpretation of Joseph Smith's cane in my thesis and blog, this gave me all the more reason to be concerned.

But contrary to the nightmares I had the night before, Mike Quinn's remarks turned out to be quite flattering:

I find the evidence and analysis to be persuasive in Michael G. Reed's forthcoming book.... I appreciate something that he didn't include in his brief presentation today. While his book acknowledges that Joseph Smith's serpent-cane "was either inspired by Freemasonry, folk-magic, or both," he discovered a symbol in it that I did not recognize in my book about Early Mormonism and the Magic World View. In what I regarded as simply carved compartments on the cane, Reed perceives an inverted cross. Now I see it, too. Pointing out the previously unperceived is the role of ongoing historical analysis. I am very impressed with his detailed examination of the transition in official and unofficial LDS attitudes toward the Christian Cross.... Michael G. Reed has written a book that deftly examines one aspect of Mormonism's inconsistent overlaps with traditional Christianity and inconsistent departures therefrom.
In the coming week I am off again, this time traveling to Independence Missouri to present at the Restoration Studies Symposium. It would be nice to see some of you there. If you do attend, please introduce yourself. I'd love to meet you.

To those who may be interested, Sunstone now has the MP3 of my 2009 SLC presentation available to purchase for $3. You can order/download it here.

8 comments:

  1. Sunstone must have been really impressed with yours. They haven't put either of my talks from last year online yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I don't know why that would be the case. I thought both of your presentations were very well done, and one was even covered in Mormon Times. Now that I think about it, I wonder if my MP3 was available before I asked Mary Ellen where I could find it. I sure didn't notice it until then. Maybe she puts them up as requests are made, I don't know. You should contact her and ask what's up.
    --Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    When will your book be available?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe.
    We've pushed the publication schedule back from spring to fall. The good news is that this extra time will allow me to include some good material recently gathered, related to Strangite and RLDS perceptions of the cross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to publication. I have been quite interested in your work on the cross and have eagerly read the newspaper articles and podcast.

    Great work Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, but my mothers family is LDS back to Mr. Smith himself. Just because your mom had a bad view of the cross does not mean it is the same for the entire LDS community. I remember bringing home a cross necklace from school and my mom teaching me about remembering the resurrection and ascension. Not just reflecting on his death. We do not worship death. But everyone is entitled to tradition. It is the LDS tradition to reflect on the whole of the Atonement. Not just one aspect of it. You are exploiting one oddity. That is what I would call propaganda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous: Sorry, but my mothers family is LDS back to Mr. Smith himself.

    Me: No need to be sorry for your ancestry. ;-) My ancestry goes back to the earliest days of the Church too. They include Benjamin F. and Joel Hills Johnson, Charles Shumway, Jesse N. Smith, and Asael Smith (Joseph Smith's grandfather). I guess that makes us distant cousins! I am not sure that such ancestry gives either of us valid credentials, however.

    Anonymous: Just because your mom had a bad view of the cross does not mean it is the same for the entire LDS community.

    Me: Never said it was. I am quite aware of the fact that some Latter-day Saints have positive views of the symbol. These people are a small minority in the LDS community however. And no... I did not base my research on my Mother's view of the cross. Incidentally, she has since changed her perspective of the symbol, and remains active in the LDS faith.

    Anonymous: I remember bringing home a cross necklace from school and my mom teaching me about remembering the resurrection and ascension.

    Me: Good for you.

    Anonymous: Not just reflecting on his death. We do not worship death. But everyone is entitled to tradition.

    Me: Agreed. Did I ever assert otherwise?

    Anonymous: You are exploiting one oddity. That is what I would call propaganda.

    Me: How do you know what I am exploiting? Have you read my MA thesis, or the manuscript to my forthcoming book? Have you listened to any of my presentations at Sunstone in SLC and Claremont Graduate University, or the Restoration Symposium in Independence Mo? Your identification of my research as propaganda seems to indicate that you have done none of these things.

    ReplyDelete